Thursday, November 25, 2010

A SWAP of a different kind !

Were you a swap card kid. I was. And I have been thinking about them a lot lately. Only god knows where mine got to. I longed to see the faces again of the beautiful girls that were depicted on my cards, the cute hair, gorgeous dresses, goggly eyes, hats and umbrellas. So I googled swap cards and guess what I found. The exact same swap cards that I used to have.
You must go here and have a look, they are so gorgeous (I had the bottom four). I have tried to put pictures into this post but the pictures are mostly copyrighted. I could only obtain a few very small images but you really need to see the bigger picture.
Then go here, I had all of these ones. I started collecting them when I was about 4 or 5. I remember when I was about 7 years old I used to go into Powneys newsagency in Bendigo, Victoria, where I lived, and take all my pocket money. I would stand at the swap card stand for as long as Mum would let me, carefully writing down all the numbers of the swap cards I wanted to buy. Then I would line up at the counter and hand over my list. I would wait eagerly whilst the shop keeper got down the box of swap cards and went through the numbers and selected the cards I had chosen. Then he would put them into a paper bag and hand them over. It was a ritual for me on a Saturday morning when I had enough money saved to go and add to my collection. I am trying to remember how much they cost, I think maybe 5 cents each, I truly cannot remember. But they bought me such joy.
I just wish like crazy I had kept them to hand down to my Lucy. I so want them back - NOW !!!!!!!!

2 comments:

alliecat said...

Oh, I had swap cards too, I loved collecting pairs and sets! I still have my collection, I almost chucked it out when in my 20's so glad I didn't. Must go get them out and have a squiz. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

monkeemoomoo said...

What a lovely memory. I never did the swap card thing, maybe I was too young, Andrew had them, not the girly ones of course! He wishes he still had his too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails